A van der Walt Transport (Namibia) (Pty) Ltd., a fully Namibian owned company, with its Head Office in Swakopmund, the capital of the Erongo Region and a Branch Office in Okahandja, was founded in 1986 with its main purpose to distribute refrigerated, containerized and break-bulk cargo throughout the SADC region.
A van der Walt Transport (Namibia) (Pty) Ltd. is a member of the Namibia Logistics Association (NLA) and is also member of the Walvis Bay Corridor Group initiative and plays an active role in the development of the different corridors that link all Sub-Saharan landlocked countries and the rest of the world via Walvis Bay as the preferred port of import and export.
Over the years the company has established itself as a reputable and reliable entity in the transport market that has offered an exceptional service to its customers without failure in all their cross-border transport needs.
The personnel corps of the company is all Namibian and is well equipped and thoroughly trained for the various tasks to manage and maintain a company catering such a specialized service to the public.
A van der Walt Transport (Namibia) (Pty) Ltd. were one of the first transporters, since 1990, to convey refrigerated cargo, mainly frozen fish, from Namibia to the Democratic Republic of Congo. Within a few years the demand to be more versatile, forced the company to expand on the type of vehicles used and the routes served. Adhering to this demand, enabled us to offer transport of various commodity types like refrigerated, perishable, break-bulk such as copper concentrates, salt and cement, various container types, dangerous goods, abnormal cargo etc. to and from Namibia and countries like South Africa, Botswana, Angola, Zimbabwe, Zambia, DRC and Mozambique.
A van der Walt Transport (Namibia) (Pty) Ltd. specialize in cross-border operations and we do employ automated administrative and information technology tools linked via the Asycuda system to the relevant border posts for clearing and excise. All vehicles are equipped with and being monitored by means of a specialized satellite tracking system to ensure safe and effective management of the fleet and cargo conveyed.
Health, Safety and the Environment
The safety and the health of our workforce are paramount since the employees are the primary building blocks of the company and are therefore the link to a secured and successful future of the company.
As a long-haul operator, A van der Walt Transport (Namibia) (Pty) Ltd. have a responsibility to our country and its citizens to ensure a healthy and clean environment for its descendants and future development.
A van der Walt Transport (Namibia) (Pty) Ltd. will not render any service or offer any transportation while compromising the Health and Safety of our internal and external stakeholders and/or the Environment.
Every activity is subject to safety assessment and mitigating measures instituted.
The following systems and policies are in place to ensure our policy of “zero tolerance to ill health and safety”;
- regular alcohol and drug tests (all employees)
- periodical fitness tests for heavy vehicle operators
- annual defensive driving training for heavy vehicle operators
- quarterly driver training and assessments
- comprehensive Driver Manual for heavy vehicle operators
- HIV Aids counseling and support through the Walvis Bay Corridor Initiative
- first aid kits on all company vehicles and property
- electronic speed control installed on all company vehicles
- regular service of all equipment (moving and stationary) and scrutinizing and assessment of all company vehicles on a fortnightly basis
- Accident Reporting Policy
- Insident Reporting Policy
- Driving Times and Resting Policy
- Safety Wear Policy
The A van der Walt Transport Operations Office in Swakopmund is on standby and ready to act 24/7 to assist all heavy vehicle operators in case of any emergency. The following systems and policies are in place to ensure the fluent movement of cargo and effective problem solving;
- identifying and enforce control of Unauthorized and Danger Zones
- Traffic Flow Management – avoiding rush hours and visibility impaired situations prior departure of vehicle
- 24/7 vehicle movement monitoring system
- Emergency Response Plan
- 24/7 mobile communication with all heavy vehicle operators
- Consignment Collecting, Transport and Delivery Policy
A van der Walt Transport (Namibia) (Pty) Ltd. vows to continue its vision to be the preferred Long-Haul Transporter that one can rely on. We will keep developing our personnel, infrastructure, business opportunities and the corridors we serve to satisfy the needs of all our esteemed clients and business partners.